Elk Horn Baptist Church was established October 10th, 1868 by the Rev. William Fisher. It was started in the White Oak Valley School House. This site was located about ½ mile northeast of the present Highway 70. The schoolhouse was located on Sprat Branch approximately one mile north/northeast from the present church.
June 15th, 1884 a new church was dedicated as its first worship house. This church was blown off its foundation by a violent storm and no longer was safe. November 14th, 1896, a report gave Elk Horn Baptist Church had 64 members.
June 27th, 1914 a new church building was dedicated. This church building was located in old Elk Horn. June 1946 Elk Horn began adding Sunday school rooms onto the church. In the mid-sixties the government purchased all of the properties for the construction of the Green River Reservoir. All the buildings including Elk Horn Baptist Church were vacated and either moved or dismantled. The last service in the old Elk Horn Baptist Church was held on Sunday night November 22, 1964. Elk Horn had already built the present structure on Highway 70 about two miles South of Campbellsville.
The first worship service at the present Elk Horn Baptist Church was held November 29nd, 1964. This November 29th, 2014 we will celebrate our 50th anniversary of the very first worship service in our current Educational Building.
In 1983 an annex was added to Elk Horn, this is currently where our office and restroom areas are located.
Ground breaking for the new building (WAC) came in Spring of 2002. Approximately a year later in 2003 we began to have worship in the new building. Since November 14th, 1896 God has brought us from 64 members to 600 and still growing. God has given us more people, more property, more parking and “A Band New Dream In 2015”.
On April 19, 2015, Elk Horn Baptist Church voted YES to begin construction on a new sanctuary that will seat 1,500 worshippers. Construction is set to begin in mid-May 2015. The new sanctuary should be completed by March 2016.